Translate

Saturday, January 26, 2013

HAIR TYPES & ETHNICITY (1)




I have the typical oriental hair- straight, thick and black. I used to yearn for my cousins’ natural curly hair when I was a teenager. The ‘Afro look’ was fashionable in those days so I subjected my hair to strong,  stinging chemicals and high heat to get curls at the hair salon. I thought Caucasians also had more fun with their multitude of hair colors that were easier to dye and style.

A former colleague who had natural curly hair straightened her hair regularly. She explained that her curls were very difficult to comb. They tangled and snapped easily. She used to tell me I was so lucky to have such a luxuriant head of straight hair. Guess this was a ‘Grass is greener on the other side syndrome’ with each person thinking the other person’s hair type looked much better. Now I have finally accepted my straight hair and appreciated its positive aspects- it is the hardiest and strongest among all hair types.

RACIAL HAIR TYPES

There are three major racial hair types with variations within each:

  • The Asian (Far Eastern) hair type

  • The Afro hair type

  • The Caucasoid hair type

Each hair type has its own characteristics and special needs that determine the hair care routine and products to use.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!